“Media, Interactivity and Participation”
International Communication Students Congress – ICSC 2014
Marma Congress Centre, Maltepe University
Istanbul, 3-4 April 2014
Call for papers
Although the interaction and participation with and through media has been developing exponentially over the last decade through digital media, these are actions that have been possible in the past also in traditional media as newspapers, radio and television.
However, the emergence of social media networks as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Instagram and Pinterest among others has then offered further possibilities of interaction with media institutions, and among media users, to create, edit, publish, and share content at the local and global level, encouraging the creative use of the possibilities offered by computers, smartphones and tablets.
The 2014 edition of the International Communication Students Congress (ICSC 2014) will focus on the main theme of “Media, Interactivity and Participation”. We welcome submissions by undergraduate (BA) and postgraduate (MA only) students for individual papers and panel proposals (including up to 4 papers), media practice contributions (audio / video) and posters that should be addressing, but not limited to, the following topics:
· Media, interactivity and culture
· Photography, images and the rise of visual social media
· Television, radio and printed media production with digital and social media
· The use of interactive and participatory tools for marketing and public relations
· The development of interactivity and online gaming
· Media, participation and the political process
· Media ethics, interactivity and participation
· Media history, interactivity and participation
Submission of abstracts
Abstracts of up to 300 words should be submitted for peer review by Thursday 6 February 2014 via e-mail to the conference address email@example.com Accepted abstracts will be announced by Monday 17 February 2014, and on the same day the conference website will be open for online registration. Online registration will be open until Monday 24 March 2014.
Conference information and support
The conference programme will be including cultural events, visits to the media production facilities on campus and to exhibitions that will be displayed at the Faculty of Communications, as well as a cultural tour of the city.
Please note that accepted presenters (students at BA/MA levels ONLY) will be able to
– attend the conference free of charge, this including access to the keynote speech, the panel sessions, the coffee breaks, lunches, the gala dinner and the full day cultural tour of Istanbul
– use the free shuttle services available on 2 and 5 April 2014 for transfers to and from Istanbul Ataturk and Sabiha Gokcen airports
– be hosted for 3 nights (2-3-4 April) at the Marma Congress Centre Hotel (http://www.
We are delighted to confirm that the keynote speaker for ICSC 2014 will be, Dr.Ilija Tomanic Trivundza, Assistant Professor at the Department of Media and Communication Studies at Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana (Slovenia), and Vice President of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA).
For any further information about the event, please contact the Secretary General of the ICSC 2014, Mr.Samet Erel, at firstname.lastname@example.org