The conference will be held on 10-11 November 2017, at Södertörn University, Stockholm, Sweden. It is organised jointly by two ECREA Sections: Communication and Democracy; and Media Industries and Cultural Production.
Helen Kennedy (University of Sheffield)
Joseph Turow (University of Pennsylvania)
Mikkel Flyverbom (Copenhagen Business School)
What do big data and algorithmic culture mean in the context of democratic participation and engagement?
What are the consequences of ubiquitous surveillance, preemptive policing and social bots for our understanding of democracy and exercise of civic rights?
How do current discussions of political agency in the digital age compare to previous moments of disruption in terms of the introduction of media technologies?
How media industries are reacting to big data and algorithmic governance?
Which policy challenges emerge for public service media?
Which implications do big data bring for media workers?
During this section conference, we aim to engage with questions concerning datafication, media industries and (digital) democracy through addressing topics such as (but not limited to):
- Political subjectivities and political agency in the age of Big Data
- Political consequences of storing, processing and organizing of data
- Civic engagement and political participation in times of Big Data
- Surveillance and preemptive policing
- Materiality and environmental issues of Big Data and algorithmic culture
- New actors and discourses in the context of datafication
- Democratic potential of Big Data and algorithmic culture
- Algorithmic taste management in the media industries
- Archives and archiving of cultural production and civic engagement
- Media work and labour in datafied media industries
- Data Journalism
A YECREA workshop for PhD candidates and junior researchers will be organised. Details are going to be announced in early spring 2017.
Please submit a 300-word abstract for individual proposals by 1st June 2017.
Panel proposals should include a 300-word panel rationale plus individual 200 word abstracts from a minimum of four speakers.
All abstracts for individual as well as panel proposals should be submitted through: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecreadigdem2017
Notifications of acceptance will be issued by 15 August 2017.
Registration and Fees
Early bird registration €50 (until 1 September 2017)
Early bird reduced student fee €30 (until 1 September)
Full fees €75
Reduced student fee €40